Thursday, June 28, 2012

What If I Can't?

When I was young my friends and I had a favorite sleep over game. It was called "What If". The game consisted of us taking turns sharing "what if" statements designed to gradually scare us beyond reason until we were huddled together in a huge clump in the middle of the bed. Statements started with things like "what if we tried to get up and realized our legs were paralyzed" and progressed to "What if our reflections in the mirror came to life and strangled us while we slept." It has never ceased to amaze me how this game of simple "what ifs" had greater power to make me shiver in my boots, than any other scary story out there.

Similarly, the words "what if" in my every day life have the same huge impact of knocking me down and beating me to a shivering mess. "What if I fail this test? What if I lose my job? What if I am not smart enough? What if I Can't...?" All these questions have power in the fear that they create, and fear is not of God, but can only be overcome through God. Moses gives us some insight to fear:

"And it came to pass that Moses began to fear exceedingly; and as he began to fear, he saw the bitterness of hell. Nevertheless, calling upon God, he received strength, and he commanded, saying: Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship, which is the God of glory." Moses 1:20 

When we succumb to worries and fears that may or may not happen, we are opening ourselves to a downfall. Fearing the sins or addictions that might beset us, is choosing to be paralyzed by Satan and his misery. Our progression stops. However, like Moses we can all rest safe in the knowledge that the Lord can and will, always lift us out of the depths of fear. The question then becomes: "Will I let him?"

This promise is also true for the sins and addictions that already hold us. The Savior can and will rescue us from the fear and addictions we are captive to. Elder M. Russel Ballard says, "For those of you who have fallen prey to any kind of addiction, there is hope because God loves all of His children and because the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ makes all things possible." Make the choice to turn to the Lord.

A wise friend once told me not to "determine the future based on your perception of the past." When "what ifs" come along, remember: You can, through Christ!

Exodus 20:20 "...Fear not: for God is come to prove you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment