Friday, December 28, 2012

If I Wasn't So Smart I Would Know More

Two years ago my brother and I had a conversation about how smart we were. We have always been able to do well with little to no effort. We started talking about how easy some classes were in high school, and the minimal amount of work we actually had to put in. It was a fun conversation but eventually the regret started to seep in, when we had to confess that we didn't remember much of anything. Then my brother made a profound statement that has stuck with me. He said, "If I wasn't so smart, I might know more."

What truth is contained in these words!  I can't help but look at the value of hard work and the advantage to trials in our lives. There is not anyone who is not struggling or has not struggled with a big obstacle in their life and contrary to popular belief when in a tough position there is not just a fight or flight instinct, there is also a "fudge your way through and worry about the damage later" instinct. That isn't God's plan for us however. He wants us to have experiences from which we can learn and grow stronger. We can't do that if we believe we are "smart" enough to skip the learning process, part of which is turning to the Lord for help and growth. The Book of Mormon tells us,

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."                                                                    Ether 12:27
The only real learning and growth in life comes when we acknowledge that we are not smarter than God and recognize our need for His guidance. Then with His help, we can become strong and overcome the challenges in our life. On the other hand we can also trust the words in Heleman 4:13:
"And because of this... their boastings in their own strength, they were left in their own strength; therefore they did not prosper, but were afflicted and smitten..."
 I know one thing in life, I never want to be left to my own strength. I don't want eternal regrets in not knowing anything. The trials and concerns in our lives are often things that are made to show us weaknesses that we can overcome but it only happens as we turn to God and allow them to become strengths. Don't be smart, KNOW MORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment